Browse Items (236 total)

campchase5.jpg

campchase7.jpg
Marker Text: Near this site on May 27 and 28, 1861 Camp Chase, a Civil War post, was established as a training center for recruits pouring into Columbus in answer to President Abraham Lincoln's call for volunteers. The property was located…

campchase6.jpg
Marker Text: The first Confederate prisoners arrived at Camp Chase from western Virginia, July 5, 1861. Within two weeks 4,200 rebel prisoners had been received at Camp Chase. During the early days of 1865 there were 7,000 prisoners at Camp Chase, a…

campchase8.jpg
Map of the Camp Chase boundaries (from the Franklin County Historical Marker)

confederatemonument.jpg

campchasemarker1.jpg
Front Text : "Camp Chase"
Camp Chase was a Civil War camp established in May 1861, on land leased by the U.S. Government. Four miles west of Columbus, the main entrance was on the National Road. Boundaries of the camp were present-day Broad Street…

cannonball.jpg

CampDelaware2.jpg
Marker Text:

"Camp Delaware 1862-1864"
Near this site, the Union army established two camps on either side of the Olentangy River during the Civil War. Both were known as Camp Delaware. The first camp, situated on the west side of the river in…

goodalepark.jpg
In 1851, Dr. Lincoln Goodale donated a tract of forest and rolling hills to the city for its first park. In April 1861, Goodale Park was converted into Camp Jackson when Governor William Dennison ordered the creation of the camp to train volunteers…

fthayes1.jpg
In 1863, Adjutant General C.P. Buckingham selected a seventy acre tract of land northeast of the city for the erection of an armory and arsenal (Columbus Barracks). The chosen site was an oak grove owned by Robert and Jannette Neil. In 1875, the War…

governordavidtodmansion.jpg
At the beginning of the Civil War, David Tod, a Democrat, joined the pro-Union alliance between the Republican Party and Ohio's War Democrats. The newly established National Union party supported David Tod in a successful bid for Ohio Governor in…

generalmorgan1.jpg
Marker Text

Front : "General John Hunt Morgan, CSA"
On this site once stood the Ohio Penitentiary, which was built in 1834 and operated through 1984. Incarcerated here in July 1863 was Confederate General John Hunt Morgan, a cavalry commander…

lincoln-statehouse.jpg
Marker Text: Lincoln at the Statehouse

“This slavery element is a durable element of discord among us... we shall probably not have perfect peace in this country with it until it either masters the free principle in our government, or is…

todbarracks.jpg
Marker Text: Tod Barracks, 1863
Side 1:
One of five Civil War military posts in Columbus, Tod Barracks, named in honor of Governor David Tod, was built in 1863 as the headquarters for military administration in central Ohio. Necessitated by…

1929-1.png
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2