Civil War - Camp Delaware

Title

Civil War - Camp Delaware

Subject

Civil War

Description

Marker Text:

"Camp Delaware 1862-1864"
Near this site, the Union army established two camps on either side of the Olentangy River during the Civil War. Both were known as Camp Delaware. The first camp, situated on the west side of the river in the summer of 1862, was where the white recruits of the 96th and 121st regiments of Ohio Volunteer Infantry were mustered into service. A second camp, on the east side of the Olentangy, was established in the summer of 1863 and became the rendezvous point for most African-American Ohioans joining the army. The 127th Regiment of Ohio Volunteer Infantry-later renamed the 5th Regiment United States Colored Troops, the 27th U.S. Colored Troops, and members of other African-American units were mustered into service at Camp Delaware.

S. Sandusky Street & Olentangy Avenue
Delaware, Ohio

Files

CampDelaware2.jpg

Citation

“Civil War - Camp Delaware,” Teaching Columbus, accessed September 25, 2017, http://teachingcolumbus.omeka.net/items/show/197.