Civil War - Camp Jackson

Title

Civil War - Camp Jackson

Subject

Civil War

Description

In 1851, Dr. Lincoln Goodale donated a tract of forest and rolling hills to the city for its first park. In April 1861, Goodale Park was converted into Camp Jackson when Governor William Dennison ordered the creation of the camp to train volunteers for the Union Army. As many as 8,000 troops were stationed at Camp Jackson at its peak. Future presidents Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley were among the officers stationed there. By this time, Dr. Goodale was a member of City Council and a member of the park oversight committee tasked with ensuring the terms of the Goodale Park land deed were met. Violation of the terms of the deed, which required that the land always be used as a park for the people of Columbus, would cause ownership of the land to revert to Lincoln Goodale or his heirs. By June 1861, Camp Jackson's military operations were moved to Camp Chase located four miles west of Columbus, and Goodale Park was returned to its original purpose.

Files

goodalepark.jpg
goodale1.jpg

Citation

“Civil War - Camp Jackson,” Teaching Columbus, accessed September 25, 2017, http://teachingcolumbus.omeka.net/items/show/160.