Civil War and Reconstruction (1861-1877)

Title

Civil War and Reconstruction (1861-1877)

Description

Sectional differences divided the North and South prior to the American Civil War. Both the American Civil War and resulting period of Reconstruction had significant consequences for the nation.

Items in the Civil War and Reconstruction (1861-1877) Collection

Camp Chase - Ohio Historical Marker
Front Text : "Camp Chase"
Camp Chase was a Civil War camp established in May 1861, on land leased by the U.S. Government. Four miles west of Columbus, the main entrance was on the National Road. Boundaries of the camp were present-day Broad Street…

Camp Chase - Franklin County Historical Marker
Marker Text: Near this site on May 27 and 28, 1861 Camp Chase, a Civil War post, was established as a training center for recruits pouring into Columbus in answer to President Abraham Lincoln's call for volunteers. The property was located…

Camp Chase - Franklin County Historical Marker
Marker Text: The first Confederate prisoners arrived at Camp Chase from western Virginia, July 5, 1861. Within two weeks 4,200 rebel prisoners had been received at Camp Chase. During the early days of 1865 there were 7,000 prisoners at Camp Chase, a…

Camp Chase - Map
Map of the Camp Chase boundaries (from the Franklin County Historical Marker)

Civil War - Lincoln at the Ohio Statehouse
Marker Text: Lincoln at the Statehouse

“This slavery element is a durable element of discord among us... we shall probably not have perfect peace in this country with it until it either masters the free principle in our government, or is…

Civil War - Camp Jackson
In 1851, Dr. Lincoln Goodale donated a tract of forest and rolling hills to the city for its first park. In April 1861, Goodale Park was converted into Camp Jackson when Governor William Dennison ordered the creation of the camp to train volunteers…

Civil War - Tod Barracks
Marker Text: Tod Barracks, 1863
Side 1:
One of five Civil War military posts in Columbus, Tod Barracks, named in honor of Governor David Tod, was built in 1863 as the headquarters for military administration in central Ohio. Necessitated by…

Civil War - Governor David Tod Mansion
At the beginning of the Civil War, David Tod, a Democrat, joined the pro-Union alliance between the Republican Party and Ohio's War Democrats. The newly established National Union party supported David Tod in a successful bid for Ohio Governor in…

Civil War - Columbus Arsenal and Barracks (Ft. Hayes)
In 1863, Adjutant General C.P. Buckingham selected a seventy acre tract of land northeast of the city for the erection of an armory and arsenal (Columbus Barracks). The chosen site was an oak grove owned by Robert and Jannette Neil. In 1875, the War…

Civil War - John Hunt Morgan at the Ohio Penitentary
Marker Text

Front : "General John Hunt Morgan, CSA"
On this site once stood the Ohio Penitentiary, which was built in 1834 and operated through 1984. Incarcerated here in July 1863 was Confederate General John Hunt Morgan, a cavalry commander…

Civil War - Camp Delaware
Marker Text:

"Camp Delaware 1862-1864"
Near this site, the Union army established two camps on either side of the Olentangy River during the Civil War. Both were known as Camp Delaware. The first camp, situated on the west side of the river in…