Truro Cemetery - Truro Presbyterian Church/Cemetery

Title

Truro Cemetery - Truro Presbyterian Church/Cemetery

Subject

Truro Cemetery

Description

The Truro Presyberian Church was established in 1820 by Rev. Dr. James Hoge. Rev. Hoge was the first Presybterian minister in the area, serving as pastor of the Presybterian Church in Franklinton and later First Presbyterian Church in Columbus. Hoge was also instrumental in the founding of the Ohio School for the Deaf. The successive pastors of Truro Presbyterian included: Rev. Matthew Taylor, Rev. Abner Leonard, Rev. Ellis Vandeman, Rev. J. D. Smith, Rev. John Scott, Rev. John Arthur, Rev. Andrew Barr, and Rev. W. Maynard.


The cemetery was established next to the church on about 2 acres of land provided by William Patterson. Part of the cemetery was relocated in 1969 when the Chatterton Shopping Center was built. A few gravestones are still in the original location, surrounded by a chain link fence. A number of Revolutionary War and War of 1812 veterans are buried here. Some of those buried here came to Truro Township from Nova Scotia, having obtained land in the Refugee Tract as compensation for their loyalty to the Revolutionary War cause.

Files

trurocemetery.jpg
refugee tract.jpg
isaacleonard.jpg
peterbrown.jpg
samuelbrown.jpg
robertforsman.jpg

Collection

Citation

“Truro Cemetery - Truro Presbyterian Church/Cemetery,” Teaching Columbus Historic Places, accessed July 15, 2020, https://teachingcolumbus.omeka.net/items/show/166.