Underground Railroad - Second Baptist Church


Underground Railroad - Second Baptist Church


Underground Railroad


Marker Text: Side A:
Second Baptist Church - Columbus' Oldest Black Baptist Church, 1836

Second Baptist Church cordially received its independence as a mission church from the First Baptist Church on January 7, 1836. Rev. Ezekiel Fields was chosen as pastor from 1836-1839. Formal Articles of Inc. were granted on March 12, 1844 by the 42nd General Assembly of the State of Ohio. Early church locations were 69 Mulberry, 105 E. Gay Street, and 90 E. Rich Street. In 1843, the Palladium of Liberty Newspaper began through meetings at the church. The Ohio Black Laws meant loss of livelihood causing many members to actively participate in the covert operations of the Underground Railroad. The Anti-Slavery Baptist Church in 1847 was led by Rev. James P. Poindexter, along with Rev. Isaiah Redman and member John T. Ward until the two churches merged again in 1858.

Location: 186 N. 17th Street, Columbus, OH




“Underground Railroad - Second Baptist Church,” Teaching Columbus Historic Places, accessed June 13, 2024, https://teachingcolumbus.omeka.net/items/show/127.