Transportation - The Interurban Electric Railway

Title

Transportation - The Interurban Electric Railway

Subject

Transportation

Description

Marker Text:
The Interurban Electric Railway
In the early 1900s, Ohio led the nation in interurban track mileage. The electrically powered interurban was favored over steam railroads for short distance passenger travel and the transport of local freight. Incorporated in 1899, the Columbus, Buckeye Lake, and Newark Traction Railway served Bexley from a terminal on Gay Street in downtown Columbus. Running south on High Street and then east on Mound Street, the line crossed Alum Creek into Bexley, went north up Pleasant Ridge Avenue past Capital University, and continued to the National Road (Main Street). Interurban cars stopped at the northeast corner of Main Street and Remington Road and thence sped on to Buckeye Lake, Newark, and later Zanesville. The popularity of the automobile spelled doom for the interurban. Service on the line ended in 1929.

Erected 2003 by The Bexley Historical Society, City of Bexley, Bexley Public Library, Whitehall-Bexley Rotary Club, Bexley Women's Club, Bexley Area Chamber of Commerce, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 58-25.)

Location: Main Street and Cassady Avenue, Bexley, Ohio

Files

interurban1.jpg

Citation

“Transportation - The Interurban Electric Railway,” Teaching Columbus, accessed September 25, 2017, http://teachingcolumbus.omeka.net/items/show/156.